Judy counsels individuals and families on wealth planning that includes appreciation of current and future financial and personal needs. She works with clients designing plans to preserve, protect and transfer individual or business assets to future generations. As an estate planning lawyer, Judy recognizes that estate planning is most effective when done in advance of a crisis, but that life is often unpredictable. Whatever the timing, anticipation of a client and their family’s needs is a crucial component to effective estate planning and Judy applies this philosophy as an estate attorney.
Judy has extensive legal experience with the most effective tools for the transfer of assets such as wills and trusts, including asset protection trusts, irrevocable and revocable trusts, and pre-nuptial or post-nuptial agreements. She develops and incorporates effective planning strategies to minimize tax liability using credit shelter trusts, qualified terminable interest property trusts (QTIP) and irrevocable life insurance trusts (ILITs). Judy also has considerable experience as the lead attorney in handling the administration of estates and trusts.
She frequently works with clients on the care, well-being and legal issues that affect older Americans and individuals with disabilities, and uses this experience to inform her elder care law practice. She assists clients with Medicaid planning, long-term care planning and wealth preservation, developing effective plans to assure her clients receive the best care, and where possible, implement asset protection and crisis planning techniques. Judy’s legal counseling for clients includes planning for disability through the use of powers of attorney, living wills and health care proxies, guardianships, and the drafting and administration of supplemental needs and other types of trusts. Judy also serves as attorney counsel to business clients and advises on creating efficient approaches for succession planning and how to transition closely held businesses to the next generation or key employees.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS + SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
A well-recognized estate planning lawyer, Judy speaks frequently to community and professional groups, as well as educational programs for attorneys and financial professionals on estate planning, Medicaid and long-term care planning. Some of her more recent examples include:
- Presented Opening Remarks at Alzheimer’s Association of Western New York Caregiver Brunch and Learn, April 2022.
- “Estate Planning as the Retirement Years Approach,” Erie County Association of School Boards Eats and Education Seminar, November 2021.
- “Strategic Decisions in Succession Planning,” NAWBO Monthly Meeting, April 2021.
- “Estate Planning, Medicaid Planning and Asset Preservation Webinars,” April 2021.
- “Long Term Care Planning Virtual Workshops” University of Buffalo, October 2020.
- Presentation on “Estate Planning Documents,” Merrill Lynch Virtual Legacy Planning Event, July 2020.
- “Estate and Long Term Planning” to the Veterans Administration Western New York Healthcare System, May 2019.
- “Estate and Long Term Planning” to members of the Financial Planning Association of Western New York, April 2019.
- “Living Wills, Health Care Proxies and NYS MOLST” to the Buffalo VA, November 2018.
- “The Ins and Outs of Estate and Long Term Care Planning” to the Center for Elder Care Law & Justice, June 2018
- Presentation at the Dementia Care Symposium sponsored by the Alzheimer’s Association, Western New York Chapter, April 2018.