Ross is a co-leader of the Regional Financial Institutions Team and represents financial institutions and other commercial clients in complex business disputes in state and federal courts. These matters often involve multijurisdictional or international implications, including contract, regulatory compliance, lender liability, distribution agreements, partnership disputes, insurance, reinsurance, and white-collar matters. Ross also advises clients on regulatory implications of engaging in commercial transactions, including international transactions. His work includes the defense of consumer financial services class action litigation, regulatory matters, mediations, arbitrations, and internal investigations.
Ross advises organizations of all types on financial and banking developments within the Marijuana Regulation and Taxation Act (MRTA), including cultivators and processors, retailers, and distributors. He is a frequent speaker on Cannabis topics.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS + SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- "Ross Hofherr Moderating and Meaghan Feenan Presenting as Panelist During Greater Rochester Chamber Cannabusiness Webinar," Webinar, October 2021.
- Presented “An Internal Investigation of a Cyber Security Breach” at the Defense Research Institute (DRI) Annual Meeting, San Francisco, California, October 2018
- Presented “Recent Trends in Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) Enforcement and Litigation” at the Defense Research Institute (DRI) Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, September 2018.
- Presented “How to Turn GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) into an Opportunity in 2018-19” and “Law Firm Security In The Cloud – GDPR Perspective” at the Global Legal ConfEx and Global GDPR ConfEx, New York, New York, June 2018.
- Presented “Lender Liability: Tips and Strategies in Avoiding Claims and Other Risks in 2018 and Beyond” The Knowledge Group webinar, June 2018.
- Authored “Now Entering the Ring . . . Are “Ringless Voicemail” Calls Exempt from the TCPA?” published in the Defense Research Institute (DRI) publication For the Defense, February 2018.
- Presented “The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act: Effective Compliance Strategies for Your Firm in 2018” The Knowledge Group webinar, January 2018.
- Moderated “Two Wrongs Don’t Make a Right! Ethical Concerns when Conducting Internal Investigations” at the Defense Research Institute (DRI) Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, 2017.
- Presented “Heightened BSA/AML Compliance: Challenges in 2017 and Beyond” The Knowledge Group webinar, October 2017.
- Authored “New Developments from the OCC” published in Corporate Integrity, the Newsletter of the Government Enforcement and Corporate Compliance Committee of the Defense Research Institute (DRI), September 2017.
- Presented “Inside Collection Compliance” at the Auto Finance Risk & Compliance Summit, San Diego, California, 2017.
- Presented “Fintech/Bank Partnerships: A Live Webinar to Discuss the OCC’s Latest Guidance” DealFlow Financial Products webinar, July 2017.
- Authored "A Summary of Recent FinCEN Anti-Money Laundering Enforcement Actions and Geographic Targeting Orders" published in Defense Research Institute (DRI) publication In-House Defense Quarterly, Spring 2017.
- Presented “Inside Collection Compliance” at the Auto Finance Risk & Compliance Summit, Fort Worth, Texas, May 2016